John 8 years old, self portrait
Aniquem, Jesus Maria, Lima, Peru
• Aniquem, treatment center for burnt kids
• Children come to Aniquem from various locations in Peru.
• The families come from extreme poverty.
• The center offers psychotherapy, hydrotherapy, physiotherapy and medical
post-care, for the children as well as minimal support for the families.
• Many children have suffered burns in their face and bodies.
• On the average they are followed as external patients for three years by the center.
• Aniquem is completely privately funded.
• They offer treatment for up to 300 children.
Despite the difficulties in communicating for many children at the beginning of the
program, it was remarkable to see the ease of self expression towards the end of the program: the enjoyment of self-portraits despite the heavy scars afflicting many of the children, photographing each other smiling is another mere example that there are scars that are deeper than one’s skin and that all children are the same.
• Great photography by the children generating awareness for Aniquem.
• Reinforcement of the value of therapies and support by Aniquem in the
photo-documenting by the children.
• Remarkable enthousiasm shown by the children in expressing themselves.
• Participation and major improvement of two kids aged 8 and 11 years suffering
from severe burns and trauma in talking, paticipating and socializing,
including less anger and improvement in communication at home with the parent.
• Documenting the world of Aniquem from the point of view of the children.
• Social integration by interaction and shooting portraits of people in the street.
• Significant improvement in self-value.
• Great interaction as a group independentlt of the age.
• Free surgery for an 8 year old and his mother was obtained for the next 10 years,
up to the full recovery of the use of the hands and other very severe burns.
• Definite improvement in social integration as explained by the Aniquem
The following photographs were shot by a group of 13 kids documenting the Aniquem Center amongst other things.
These children are aged 5 to 12 years old.
© COPYRIGHT 2015, THE DANIEL MALKA PHOTO PROJECT, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ON ALL TEXTS AND PHOTOGRAPHS
“Kimberley Self Portrait”